Let’s take a look at the heatmaps below to find out which headline keywords get the most Facebook likes and shares.
The heatmaps in this article feature the top headline keywords for some of the technology industry’s top magazines, including Wired, Mashable, TechCrunch, Engadget, Venture Beat and All Things D. If you have a blog covering technology or startups, these heatmaps provide valuable insight into the topics to cover and the type of keywords to use in your headlines.
It appears from looking at these heatmaps that people are much more likely to ‘like’ an article about something they already like, such as their iPhone, favorite tech company or popular app. By including elements in your articles that people already like, you are helping to improve the odds that people will ‘like’ your article and share it with friends.
Four Tips to Get Likes
- People ‘like’ headlines about new and leading tech toys such as the iPhone and iPad
- Few people ‘like’ headlines about raising money or how many millions someone has made
- Lots of people ‘like’ headlines about large technology players such as Apple, Google and Facebook
- Social, mobile and apps are also really hot topics that get lots of ‘likes’
- People ‘like’ getting updates about new products, launches and release announcements
What has been your experience with tech-related headlines? Do you have any tips for writing headlines and articles that get more ‘likes’?
Note: These heatmaps are from data collected between October 21 and January 211, but the insight gained from them is still relevant today.
All Things D